Wednesday, February 20, 2013

burlesque, inspiration and failure

So, I was told at the last show by a wonderful, beautiful patron that she enjoyed my performances because I seemed to be very well versed in everything I did. If I'm going to bump and grind, I'm going to BUMP AND GRIND. If I'm going to put on a C-3PO mask, I'm going to BE C-3PO. I remember telling her that we don't half ass our shit, because every last member of that audience has paid to get in to see the show, and we are going to put on a SHOW. I don't care if you are center front row or corner last row, you are going to get what you paid for. Yes, I have failed, and performed dances that didn't work. That's part of the learning process. I was told once not to call mistakes mistakes, call them opportunities. Opportunities to learn something. Fortunately, making a burlesque mistake doesn't result in death, so I can make all the mistakes I want. Not that I like it. I'm always frustrated when I feel like I fucked up the dance and I didn't give the audience what they deserved. My main concern is the audience. ALWAYS. Did I screw up my dance so much that the audience feels cheated? I hope not. As we as a troupe have discussed many times, the audience also appreciates when we make a mistake. They love to see that we are human and we also have trouble getting our bras off, or getting our zippers stuck. You know when they screw up their lines on Saturday Night Live? Those moments are always my favorites. You just need to know how to cover for them. Master improv mistake coverer? Master of Improv in general? Strawberry Stems. That woman is a genius! She has so many fantastic tricks up her sleeve, she could entertain just walking on stage not knowing the song, costume, props, stage, anything. Another trick I use is audience reaction. I plan, choreograph, practice a dance, but if the audience responds well to one move more than another, I'll use that one. I use the audience reaction to guide what I do next. I can practice a dance all I want, but sometimes I'll get an idea from audience reaction about what to do next while I'm onstage. I suppose I should stop giving out all my secrets, I like everything to look so seamless! Ha. My favorite trick is to absolutely LOVE the song I'm performing to. Every burlesque performer gets inspiration in different ways. Some from color, some from costuming, nature, other stage performances, dancing, many different things. I'm inspired by music. Most of my dances are created from a song. And every song I've ever performed to is a song that I love to dance to. That way, if I forget every step I've choreographed, I can at least look like I'm having a good time. Because I am. And just watching someone have a really good time, and take off their clothes, is entertaining. I hope! That's all for now, my lovelies! Until next time... Love and cheese Danger Maus

No comments:

Post a Comment